The RevivalThe Apostolic Church of Pentecost of Canada traces its history back to a revival that began in the early 20th Century at the Azusa Street Mission in Los Angeles. This revival has come to be known as the “Latter Rain” revival.
REV. FRANK SMALL In 1913, a man by the name of Frank Small was pastoring a small church in Winnipeg called the Apostolic Faith Mission. He travelled to a camp meeting just outside of Los Angeles where he witnessed the “manifest power of God”. When Frank Small returned to Winnipeg, his message of coming revival was not well received by his church so he resigned but continued to attend the church. For the next 3 years, Frank Small gave himself to prayer and waiting on God. In October of 1915, he had an encounter with the Holy Spirit where he saw a vision of an oil gusher and a large tent. He sensed the Holy Spirit say to him, “Your time is up – get ready, revival is here!“
TENT MEETING In the summer of 1916, Frank Small held a tent meeting crusade in Winnipeg. Over the course of that summer, thousands of people came to faith in Christ and were baptized in water and empowered by the Holy Spirit. Testimonies of healing and deliverance were prevalent. In the fall of 1916, the old Jewish Synagogue in Winnipeg was rented and the revival continued. Over the next few years, the revival spread from Winnipeg to other parts of Canada. In December of 1921, the first Conference of the Apostolic Church of Pentecost of Canada was held in Winnipeg. Over the next 33 years, the Apostolic Church of Pentecost was involved in extensive church planting across Canada and foreign mission work.
EVANGELICAL CHURCHES OF PENTECOST
In 1927, a group known as the Full Gospel Mission was established in Western Canada. This group had its origins in the Trossachs Camp Meeting near Pangman, Saskatchewan and eventually adopted the name of Evangelical Churches of Pentecost. This group was also involved in church planting in Western Canada as well as foreign missions work. In 1944 the Full Gospel Mission established a bible college in Eston, Saskatchewan, called the Full Gospel Bible Institute – now Eston College.
In the early 1950’s, joint Conferences were held between the Evangelical Churches of Pentecost and the Apostolic Church of Pentecost to explore the possibility of joining together. In 1953 a merger took place under the charter of the Apostolic Church of Pentecost of Canada and it was agreed that Eston College would become the official training center of the amalgamated organization.
Today ACOP is the second largest Pentecostal Denomination in Canada. There are currently 120 Canadian churches affiliated or associated with ACOP, and there are 408 credentialed ministers representing nearly every province in Canada. ACOP is also involved in missionary endeavors in 26 other countries.